When asked “how to choose hair scissor reviews for a novice hairdresser” “Yandex” will fill you up with a bunch of information. Very valuable in theory, but never helps a beginner in practice. Simply because it is too voluminous and “advanced”. Yes, okay, sharpening angle, steel hardness, blade length… What scissors should I take?
Do not worry. You have finally found the article you are looking for. We will not overload you with subtleties – we will simply explain how not to screw up when choosing your first (second, third …) professional scissors – and remain satisfied with the purchase for many years.
What should be the price of hairdressing scissors for beginners?
Good beginner scissors cost less than good ultra-professional scissors. The quality criteria are not the same. With ultra-scissors, you will cut as well as with just good scissors. But no better. And they will cost much more. Conclusion – do not rush, you will have time. But buying very cheap scissors is not worth it in any case.
- Firstly, their lifespan is significantly lower than that of high-quality scissors. So in the end, there may be no savings – one scissors conditionally for three to four thousand rubles will serve you just as much as two pairs of two thousand scissors will serve in total.
- Second, you can’t grow up with cheap scissors. You will use them for years – let’s say, even get a good grasp of them. But these skills won’t help you with a good tool. You will actually have to study anew.
- Third, customers will spit at the result. Perhaps after the third strand pulled out, you will have to catch up with the fleeing client shouting “wait, I’m not done yet.” And you may even have to run away from the catching up client shouting “sorry, it’s all scissors.” And another important fact is that after haircuts with cheap scissors, clients’ hair is cut and spoiled. Therefore, they will not return to you. This is especially true for scissors from Aliexpress or cheap options.
So – focus on two things.
- Decent brand. Not a “super-super-super-shear for the elite”, but a decent one, with a name and reputation for “solid value for money.”
- Not the most expensive models of this brand.
First tip: don’t use scissors with plastic handles. Do not. This is a saving that goes down the drain. It is with them that it is most difficult to retrain to decent scissor models.
The second tip: if you already bought very cheap scissors, then use them on a blank, since fake hair is very blunt to steel.
What scissors to buy for a novice hairdresser – length issues
Size matters, what can you say. There are two extremes here.
- Scissors that are too long will constantly cling to your fingertips. And the haircut will now and then acquire elements of staining with blood. And this will not happen because the hands are crooked. They are not crooked. It’s just that the scissors are wrong. This is the case with anyone who has chosen too long scissors.
- Scissors that are too short will create a hassle when working with the ends of the hair. All the time it will turn out “a little wrong”, you will be tortured to correct it.
Okay, but what kind of length scissors should a novice hairdresser buy? There are two tips for this.
Some craftsmen recommend taking the scissor blades into a fist (no, not like Wolverine, just into a fist) and see if their ends protrude too far beyond the fingers. However, a problem arises here – the line between “too” and “not too” is very thin and incomprehensible to beginners.
So you can focus on the following numbers:
- most female craftsmen use 5.3 or 5.5 inch basic scissors;
- and most male craftsmen prefer 5.5 to 6.5 inch scissors.
Then you can focus on these numbers – and if necessary, experiment with other lengths. Because of performing certain tasks, they may be more preferable than the main ones having this length.